Monday, February 2, 2009
Philly - Friday: a standard 6-1 thrashing of the Lightning. Saturday: terrible, terrible (in your best Charles Barkley voice) performance against the Blues. And lookie there, just like that, the Blues have gone 4-1-1 in their last 6. But who cares about the Blues. The Flyers are now 5-4-1 in their last 10.
Washington - 2 afternoon games, 2 wins. The game against Detroit on Saturday was a fairly entertaining ordeal, with Ovechkin's first goal being a beauty. Mike Green continues to be awesome. Didn't see yesterday's laugher, but judging by the box score, Ovechkin continues to dominate. A 5 goal weekend? Seriously? 5 goals in 2 games? That's some Lemieux / Gretzky shit. The caps have gone 5-4-1 in their last 10.
Pittsburgh - Friday night, oh how they want to forget about Friday night. The Devils stole that one though Fleury had no shot on the game winner in OT. Atleast they still got a point...which they gave back on Saturday to a Kaberle-less Leafs. Haven't watched anything about this game, but it must've killed Pens fans seeing them come back from 3-1, tie it at 4's, then let Jason Blake of all people pot the winner. It's especially rough for the Pens, seeing as how they came flying out of the break with the destruction of the Rangers, only to blow all that momentum in about 30 seconds at New Jersey and about the whole game in Toronto. Another quick note, the league is "investigating" Tyler Kennedy for his fight with Luke Schenn, apparently Kennedy came off the bench to initiate the fracas, we'll see if anything comes of this. Pens are 4-5-1 in their last 10.
- Hottest team in hockey? Devils, no doubt.
- Out West, 5 teams are tied from 6th - 10th. Incredible.
- The Stars are in 6th? That's incredible. That is a case study in locker room chemistry right there.
- Steve Mason has been playing the last few weeks with Mono, while Phil Kessel has been loafing around with Mono, who would you rather have on your team?
- Detroit's 5 game losing streak? Couldn't happen to a more deserving fan base.
- Worst team in hockey? Canucks, no doubt. 1-5-4 in their last 10. 8 losses in a row. Welcome to British Columbia Mats.
Seriously, they look like candy canes. Delicious, delicious, raspberry candy canes.